Monday, July 27, 2020

T.G. Sheppard Talks Elvis Presley, Barry Gibb and 'Midnight in Memphis

T.G. Sheppard returned in Sept. 2019 with his first solo country album in 22 years, Midnight in Memphis. Noteworthy songs include the title track, penned by the Bee Gee's Barry Gibb, and a comedic ode to Sheppard's mentor, "I Wanna Live Like Elvis."

Stories told on the album reflect a life blessed with famous friends and 21 No. 1 hits, dating back to Sheppard's debut country single, 1974's "Devil in The Bottle," and its follow-up, "Tryin' to Beat the Morning Home."

The Gibb connection reminds us that Sheppard's success as a country artist positioned him to rub shoulders with music industry greats well into the 21st century.

"I met Barry 15 or 20 years ago," Sheppard told Wide Open Country at February's Country Radio Seminar in Nashville. "He was in the process of buying the Johnny Cash house here in Nashville, and then he wound up buying it. 
We became friends, and we just stayed friends. When it came time to do my first country solo project in 22 years, he told me, 'I've written a song just for your album. If you don't record it, it'll never be heard.'
 I said, 'Are you serious? Who's going to turn down an original Barry Gibb song?' I heard it, and it was titled 'Midnight in Memphis.' I liked it so much that I titled the album that."

Source  www.wideopencountry.com






 https://beegeesfanfever.blogspot.com/

No comments: