Sunday, June 25, 2017

'I don’t like being on my own': Last Bee Gee Barry Gibb on missing his brothers as he prepares Glastonbury tribute

 Bee Gees survivor  Barry Gibb  takes to theGlastonbury  stage for the most emotional performance of his life.
More than 100,000 revellers will see Barry, 70, sing in memory of his late twin brothers Robin and Maurice.
And he reveals: “I don’t like being on my own, I miss them so much. I can still feel them. I smell my brothers’ breath. I get that feeling that they are right there
 
I feel as if they are there guiding me. I can’t say how. We were a group for 45 years. We were glued to each other.”
 
Robin died after a long battle with liver and colon cancer in 2012, aged 62. Maurice died nine years earlier after a heart attack.
Barry says: “I don’t like being on stage on my own. I miss my brothers. I get nerves being on stage on my own because it is so new to me.
“We would all lean on each other. I ‘d lean on Maurice and Robin and they would lean on me and somehow we’d get through every show.
 
We knew how each other felt. I knew what their opinions were. We were three brothers and it was not a democracy.
“We were three brothers who had to agree. If one of them did not like something we did not do it.”
Barry describes himself as “a really crazy person”, saying: “I believe in everything from UFOs to ghosts to all the things that you call people crazy for.
“I love it. I read every book about ghosts. I don’t live in the real world. I love all that.”
 
Barry follows the likes of Shirley Bassey and Dolly Parton to perform in the festival’s “legends” spot.
His new album In The Now saw him work with his sons.
He says: “My family is involved in everything I do. There is so much love and I have to enjoy that. My sons are as creative as I can be.”
The death of his mother Barbara last year at age 96 hit him hard.
He says: “We don’t know what comes afterwards but I suspect mum is now with Maurice and Robin and I think that is a wonderful.
 
My mother said to me before she died, ‘I would love to do it all again’. And I said , ’No mum. I don’t want to do it all again’.
“I don’t have regrets but there are always negatives in your past. But I have got to a point now where I don’t have any issues with anybody. I don’t dislike anybody.”
 
 
 
 

No comments: